2.09.2008


Good Times at the Punk Rock Flea Market



Over winter break a friend of mine asked if I would keep him company at his table for the Punk Rock Flea Market that is held twice a year in Philadelphia. I agreed, although I was clueless to just how much fun it would be.


The market itself was setup in the Starlight Ballroom , which was quite small for the insane amount of people who show up to this event. My lucky vegan self just so happened to be situated in between two of her favorite things; Vegan baked goods and a flamboyant pseudo celebrity.


The "Food Not Bombs" people kept me in constant supply of earl grey tea cookies, and the winner of Project Runways season 1, Jay Mccarroll, kept me in stitches all day. Jay is a vegetarian and we were able to talk about his line and how he chooses to be cruelty free as a designer. While we had a little too much to drink (Matt and I with our bootlegged screwdrivers, Jay with the flat Lagers he was downing), it was a great experience to see and meet some new people and talk about our similar ideas of veggie ethics.


By the end of the day I had; met a celebrity, eaten a ton of vegan goodies, made about $120, and bought some really great unique crafts, photos and a painting. I will certainly attempt to go to the next flea market, and I will keep all you veggies posted when I hear about it.